Music is one thing that most people cannot live without. People listen to music to relax themselves, to calm them down, as a motivation during workout and while dancing freely. Music and especially, audio have been a part of our life for ages. The audio files that we use are available to us in a number of different formats. Some of these formats are lossy such as MP3 and AAC. These lossy audio formats helps to save on space but it results in some portions of original data to be lost while compression. On the other hand, we also have lossless Audio formats such as FLAC and SHN. These audio formats can be converted straight back to their original size and form without losing any data.
The third-type of audio formats are also available which are uncompressed. These provide us with the same data as they were created. These are WAV and AIFF file formats. Today we are going to show you the ways by which you can use iTunes or any other music convertor to convert audio files from one format to another.
Converting Audio Files using iTunes
One major reason why people prefer to convert files to other formats is to save memory on their device. The music files that you get on iTunes are available in 256kbps AAC format and you can use iTunes to convert them to 128kbps AAC. This helps in reducing the size of the file but would mean a drop in the sound quality of the song. Besides, you can also use iTunes to convert AAC format files into MP3, AIFF, WAV and other audio formats by following these steps:
- Open iTunes on your MAC OS device.
- Create a new playlist and add all the songs you want to convert to that playlist.
- Click on iTunes preferences -> General icon -> Import settings button. You can find this button near the bottom of the windows.
- Your current CD-ripping settings would be shown on the screen. You can make changes to the settings depending upon the file format you desire.
- Choose the bit rate for your selected files in the settings menu. Ensure that the bit rate you select is equal to or less than the original bit rate of the file.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Select all tracks in your playlist and choose Advanced -> Create MP3 version.
- The files will then be converted and made available in your Music Library.
Converting Audio Files using a Music Converter
While iTunes supports a number of popular file formats, there are file formats which you cannot convert using iTunes such as FLAC, OggVorbis and Shorten. However, you can use any of the number of Soundcloud Music converter such as Tmkk’s XLD, Stephen Booth’s Max or Roxio’s Toast 11 Titanium. You can use these converters to convert audio formats into an iTunes friendly format which can then be used to convert music files to your favorite file format.
To convert music using XLD:
- Drag the file you want to convert to the program’s window.
- Select the file conversion format to Apple Lossless. This is helpful because both the file formats would be lossless which would help in just the conversion of formats and not result in loss of data.
- Once the audio format is converted, you can use this file format or use iTunes to convert it again in a file format of your choice.
The Last Words
Audio is available in a number of different formats today and you can make use of iTunes or any other good quality music converter to interchange the formats to decrease the size or improve their sound quality.